Dave is a lifelong resident of Tuscaloosa. After graduating from Tuscaloosa public schools he received both his undergraduate and law degrees from the University of Alabama. He has practiced law in Tuscaloosa continuously since that time, opening his own firm, Ryan Law, in 2019. Dave practices in the areas of school law, employment litigation, construction, trucking, personal injury, and wrongful death. He has represented clients in state and federal courts throughout the West Alabama area, as well as before the EEOC, the Office of Civil Rights, and various other administrative agencies. Dave has served as an adjunct professor with the University of Alabama School of Law and Shelton State Community College. He is a frequent presenter in the areas of school and employment law.Dave and his wife Laura have three grown children.
ACTIVITIES & AFFILIATIONS
- Alabama Bar Association, Member (Since 1993)
- U.S. District Court, Northern and Middle Districts of Alabama, 1994
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit, 200 & U.S. Supreme Court, 2004
ALABAMA COUNCIL OF SCHOOL BOARD ATTORNEYS
- President, 2014-2015
- Vice-President, 2013-2014
- Board of Directors, 2007-2011, 2015-2016
University of Alabama – BA, Juris Doctor, 1993
ALABAMA ASSOCIATION OF SCHOOL BOARDS
- Board/Superintendent Relations Task Force, 2016-present
- City of Tuscaloosa Personnel Board 2022- present.
- Tuscaloosa Public Education Building Authority, Chair 2005 – Present
- First United Methodist Church (Board member, Various Committees)
- Youth Baseball, Basketball and Softball Coaching